“Respect for the diversity of cultures, tolerance, dialogue and cooperation, in a climate of mutual trust and understanding are among the best guarantees of international peace and security“.
(…) “Each individual in our global society has the right to a full range of library and information services”.
Extract from the IFLA/UNESCO Multicultural Library Manifesto
The Zygmunt Jan Rumel Public Library in the Praga-Południe District of the capital city of Warsaw actively participates in the intercultural dialogue through collecting and sharing its resources as well as organizing educational and cultural activities aimed at learning about different cultures, languages and customs.
Our efforts are carried out through:
- expanding the Foreign Languages Library’s collection with new publications (books, audiobooks, films) and gifts from private persons and institutions as well as purchases of new releases from funds given to the Friends of the Foreign Languages Library Association
- Assisting our foreign readers and students learning foreign languages who use our resources to study and learn. Our collection consists of collections provided by the British Council, the Swiss Embassy in Warsaw and the Embassy of the Republic of Croatia, as well as the Russian Center for Science and Culture in Warsaw.
- Co-organizing the annual European Day of Languages
- Educational and cultural projects that cater to the needs of children, adults and seniors such as:
- meetings aimed at learning about different countries and cultures “A Day with … Culture“
- Global Education Week
- English, German and Russian language classes with cultural elements
- free polish courses for foreigners (levels A1-B1)
- Library lessons for schools and original classes in the formula of an Escape Room.
- Promoting the Foreign Languages Library on social media (Facebook)
- Long-term cooperation with volunteers (including a native speaker).